"Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord."
Larry Crabb writes in this book The Pressures Off. "You've realized that what you most want is beyond your reach, and you're trusting God for the satisfaction you seek. You want Him. Nothing less, not even His blessings will do." If we can get to the point where we are waiting on the Lord and in the midst of waiting we pursue the Lord. If we can seek the Lord as our greatest satisfaction above whatever it is we are waiting. In other words, We want only the Lord and not what he can do for us. We desire God above anything and everything else. It is a hard place to be content in but it is a goal we can aspire to achieve.
How do we seek, wait and find God to be our total satisfaction? It is a process that will not be finalized until we see Jesus face to face in heaven but while we are on earth:
1. Maintain a healthy relationship with God.
To know God is to love God and to love God is to know God. If loving God is above all else then we will want to know him better and deeper. We will pursue a relationship with God because we love him so much. How do we do that? Prayer, Bible reading, meditation, journaling, resting, walking in his creation and reading books to help us understand the Bible which is God's words.
2. Walk with the Lord
- Talking with him.
- Crying with him: Psalm 28:1; To you, O Lord, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me, lest if you be silent to me. lest, I go down to the pit. Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to you for help, when I lift up my hands toward you most holy sanctuary.
- Relinquishing all to him. "We prefer control over trust." Larry Crabb
- Worship him.
- Rest in him.
- Reach for him.
- Ruminate on him.- ponder: Think deeply about something.
3. Wait for the Lord - "Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord" (Psalm 27:14)
Waiting on the Lord is discipline. It takes work. It does take strength and courage. It is not passive. In the midst of waiting on the Lord we are to maintain a healthy relationship with him and walk with him.